Friday, March 24, 2006

Freedom

I haven't said this very often, but today was a great day. I had the day off work so it was all about me. I got eleven hours of sleep so that alone impacted my mood. As I was driving to Target this afternoon, I was listening to Michael Buble on the radio singing "Feeling Good."

Birds flying high
You know how I feel
Sun in the sky
You know how I feel
Breeze driftin' on by
You know how I feel
It's a new dawn
It's a new day
It's a new life
For me
And
I'm feeling good


As you can see, normal amounts of sleep result in me feeling overly optimistic and somewhat delusional.

So there I was...slowly pushing a cart through Target without a care in the world. Sadly, it made my day.

Aside from a great shopping experience, it was nice to NOT hear the following from anyone I encountered today:

Do you have a minute? This always means a minimum of twenty minutes of my time is going to be wasted. This cycle will be repeated several times per day.

I have a question. How shocking. One question? Could this be my lucky day? You actually have fifty questions and lack the ability to answer any of them alone.

I have a problem. You sure do, but I have a feeling you aren't referring to your personal issues.

Do you think...? I do but apparently you don't.

I like things to be black and white. While this place resembles a zoo and many of my coworkers act like animals, I don't see any zebras. How did I get the job of pulling off Mission Impossible...teaching someone to use judgment?

And, my personal favorite:

Why? Because I said so. To quote Cartman, "Respect my authority!" It's not that I have any authority, but stupid questions piss me off.

With that in mind, none of that exists right now. Well, until Monday......

2 comments:

Shelley said...

I completely hear you in this post. I spend the majority of my days answering questions for people...where they probably could have come to a similar answer, had they just taken a moment to put some thought into the situation (thus using about the same amount of their time, while at least saving my time). I had a day off like yours a couple weeks ago. Total bliss.

MDUB said...

I LOVE THAT SONG! I've never heard that version, but Nina Simone sings it and it is one of the best mood lifters ever. To think I hadn't even heard it untill about a month ago.