Sunday, April 09, 2006

Competition

Is competition unavoidable? I do not consider myself to be competitive at all and this seems to put me in the minority. I was discussing this with a friend and she was of the opinion that everyone is competitive. According to her, you cannot survive in this country without being competitive on some level. While I was tempted to laugh, she got me thinking.

As I said, I am not competitive with others yet I do have high expectations of myself. Shocked aren't you? This friend believes I am competitive. Huh? My idea of competition is a winner and a loser, settling for nothing less than top dog, or reveling in crushing someone else. Am I wrong?

I was the kid who was happy to participate. Winning didn't matter to me. As an adult, I am not one of those people who gets obsessed with winning a board game at a party. In fact, those who are happy playing the rule-enforcer and who MUST win piss me off. For the love of God, it's a game.

I have achievements because I worked hard, not because I beat someone else. There are times that I would like to beat others but not in a competitive sense. It would be more along the lines of smacking a few people in the head who annoy me. Most of those who come to mind are coworkers.

No comments: